A couple of weeks ago‘Digital Renaissance Woman, & Builder of Great Things’, Karen Civil shared her tools for success at New York University to a crowd of students, entrepreneurs and media mavens. She was awarded for her contributions in the entertainment industry by the New York non-profit organization, Women on The Move.
Karen Civil has had quite an interesting path to success. At a very young age, the New Jersey native saw an opportunity that the internet offered when no one was gravitating towards it. She found refuge behind a computer screen, creating fan sites for some of her favorite artists like The Backstreet Boys, which led her to a backstage meet up with the group. As she mentioned ” the internet got me what I wanted and I was curious to see how far it would take me.” That same persistence and dedication landed her an internship with Hot 97 DJ, FunkMaster Flex. Years later, the young entrepreneur found herself representing some of the most renown names in the music industry with a resume that includes Young Money, Mary J Blige, Beats By Dre , Nipsey Hussle and much more.
Since launching her blog in 2008, KarenCivil.com has become a trusted source for all news relating to music, entertainment and the hip-hop culture. Nowadays,the 30-year-old entrepreneur is using her platform to give back and inspire others to follow their career goals. From self-awareness to jealousy, she shared experiences that the crowd could easily relate to. Below are my top 10 favorites, enjoy!
- Instead of making an impression, leave your mark.
- You can’t have a million dollar dream with a minimum wage work ethic.
- Don’t speak in a place of hate, jealousy and insecurity. That’s a sure way to burn bridges.
- Be selective on what you allow your ears to hear, the words you choose to speak and the energy you let near you
- Dream it, believe it, achieve it.
- Create a vision board. Make a blessing jar.
- Build others and support them.
- Strangers will support you more than your close friends because it’s harder for friends to accept that you all came from the same place.
- Be motivated but not envious, be inspired and not jealous.
- Have patience and understanding to know when it’s your turn, and your light will shine.